Monday 15 October 2007

Glutton List

Why is it that I am so obsessed with Singapore's hawker food? The terrible thing about me is that I like to eat yet am scared of a growing waistline. Sounds familiar? Adrian always tells me 'If you're afraid of putting on weight then don't eat. If you want to eat, then don't think about gaining weight'. I believe if you ask every Singaporeans who live abroad what they miss most about Singapore, the likely answer will be 'food'. Saggs, Val, Anna, Sher and Lilian, do you agree? The closest I can get to eating these food is to either drive all the way to Oriental City in London where you can find a foodcourt similar to those in Singapore or try to cook it myself. Both are not ideal since I don't fancy the long drive just to satisfy my food cravings and I'm not good with making my own laksa or char kway teow. What next?

Since I will be going back to Singapore, I have started to compile what I call a 'Glutton List'. Remember I mentioned this site before? Soon, I can go on a 'makan trail' with my family. Oh, the good old days! My father used to drive us round the island to sample food. Now, my girls can come along too. I joked with my sisters that I need to lose some weight before I leave in order to make room for weight gain in Singapore. Ipoh Hor Fun, Hokkien Mee, Rojak, Wanton Mee, Soon Kueh, Bak Chor Mee etc etc etc.......here I come!

5 comments:

Lilian said...

Totally agree Roslyn. At least you are in London and have an option of driving somewhere to satisfy your craving. Me??? I'm in Moscow, no choice but to DIY, eg Prima packs and nasi lemak. Prima's laksa and mee siam are really good.

I'm salivating for charkueyteow (extra cockles), bakchormee (enough vinegar), Jumbo black pepper crab and will definitely head for Tunglok Signatures and Crystal Jade Paragon when I'm back. Any recommendation for good Japanese?

Roslyn said...

Yes, Prima has got a good range. You make a mean plate of nasi lemak too. Have yet to try your sambal recipe. My friend said there's a small good Japanese restaurant over at International Plaza. Can't remember what's it called. What about you? Recommendations for nice food? When are you next back in Singapore?

Saggs said...

Cruel cruel! You're reminding me of the good food back home that I can't have! I don't care how you do it, just find a way to lug me back! I'm dreaming of my mum's and MIL's 'mee hoon kuay' aka ban mian, Old Chang Kee curry puff and my all-time fav - PRATA, and sushi from Sushi Tei!!!!!!! Waaaaaah!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, lucky, lucky you! I. Need. Katong Laksa. Really bad! As well as curry puffs, prata, nasi padang and tau suan. I need a whole hawker centre! Enjoy your trip :)

Roslyn said...

Saggs,

Sorly lah! Do you have a recipe for Mee Hoon Kuay? Yesh, Old Chang Kee Carly Pok....ops! Did it again.

Val,

Make a makan trip to Oriental City. :)