Tuesday 4 December 2007

Pooped but totally happy

Today, I met up with Cassandra for the first time. I'd invited her and Sylvia over to my place for some makan and playtime for the little ones. Cassandra and I got to know each other through a thread I started for Singaporean mummies living in UK at a motherhood forum. She posted a message many months ago and I'd not checked the thread for maybe 1+yrs? One day a few weeks back, I dropped by the forum and saw her message. This was followed by a private message for her and then we started chatting on and off on MSN. Sylvia said she admires me because this is what I always do. Drop a message, chat and then meet. Well, there's always the first step, isn't it? I think living in a foreign land, it's always exciting to know someone from your home. I'm sure Sylvia, Val and Cass will agree with me. True, we should get to know the locals but we're finding it quite hard. It's pretty tough forging true friendship with them except for a few handfuls. Not sure if we are the ones who are guarded or them? I still like to speak Singlish to my fellow Singaporean mummies 'lah, lee, lor, leh'. Somehow, by the fact that we come from the same country, there's an instant connection.


I'd been trying forever to meetup with Sylvia. We'd been busy with our own stuff but finally we had the chance today (supposed to meet last week but she had caught a bug). Let me tell you, this lady is simply, in a word 'super-friendly'. Ok, that's not really one word but I really need to emphasize on her affable personality. She can be buddy-buddy with anyone. I like that. So easygoing.


Anyway, Cass came with baby Gabby (little pumpkin, Sylvia calls her) and Sylvia with Danielle late morning. Unfortunately, Gabby, for some reasons (either she didn't like my face or my house), cried alot while she was here. I totally could feel for Cass as this was what happened to Lavigne when we went to a mummies-babies gathering just before coming to UK. Even though I have 2 children myself, I'd forgotten how to soothe her. It seems like everytime we tried to coo or cheer her up, she'd cry harder. Or when she'd calmed down, she'd start again. I felt really bad as there was nothing I could do. Cass tried to rock her, sling her, pat her. We tried to stay in another room, dropping in ever so often to see if everything's fine. I hope you didn't feel left out, Cass, as we thought our presence or voice (uhm it seems like I'm talking for Sylvia too. Not sure if you agree) might aggravate her crying.


I made Chicken Curry and panfried Prata (bought from supermarket) for lunch. The little ones had fried rice but they were more interested in our Prata. Tea was Pandan Cake (another story to tell). I was really so goondu I didn't realise Cass had bought Danish Pastries. She showed me some Snowmen, which were obviously for the girls. I only realised the bag of goodies when I came home after sending them to the train station and Louisa's music class. Oh no! We could have had them for tea and Danielle didn't get to eat her Snowman. Sorry, sweetie!


Adrian went to pick them up from the train station in the morning as I had a visitor just before they came. He kindly stayed and played with the 2 little ones while us mummies yakked away. Thanks! After lunch, Sylvia and Danielle went to attend music class with us while Cass stayed in the house with Gabby. Then it was back in the house for a little while and out again to pick Louisa from school. Danielle is so cute. When we reached Louisa's classroom, she went right into the class to meet Louisa. When they came out, she went on to hold Louisa's hand which made my heart melt. How sweet was that. My girl was thrilled that they went to meet her in school.


3 girls



Upon reaching home, we didn't have much time other than a quick tea and cake before leaving for the train station. Due to bad traffic, they missed a train and Louisa was late for her music class. We came home and though tired, I'm a happy lady. I can't imagine how time went by quickly. It was whirlwind. Just like the birthday parties which all ended very quickly. I hope you had a lovely time ladies because I did and just the thought of today put a smile on my face. I'm really sorry about the pastries, Cass. I had one for dinner and it was SINFULLY GOOOOOOOD!




Sheeeeeesh! Just realised I forgot to do a check-in for my flight!!!!! (update: it's not allowing me to check-in, urgh!)

3 comments:

Saggs said...

My my, you're quick! I'm still trying to upload today's photos on my blog!

So much to say about today's fabulous day! Had a blast! Wanna say more but will put them up on post instead, I think?

Thanks for the lovely lovely time. We really enjoyed ourselves. You made my belly very happy with today's prata & pandan cake-fix. Shiokus!

Roslyn said...

Haha! I thought since I'm in the mood, I'd better get it done if not it'll take forever.

Anonymous said...

No apologies required! Your curry was so yummy it more than made up for Gabby's grumpiness :) I was worried her crying would spoil the fun for everyone.

BTW, your pandan cake went down very well with Simon and Rory. The boy didn't want to get into the stroller when i went to pick him up (I reached the nursery in time - half past 5). Imagine trying to put a screaming/kicking toddler into a pushchair with a 3.5 months old baby strapped onto you. I bribed him with your cake. Your pandan cake saved my life!

Was great meeting up with the both of you. We must do it again.