Sunday 15 March 2009

House Hunting 3

Properties viewed - >40
Shortlisted - 3
New potential - 1
Dream home - 2 (one sold and one over budget)

Both Adrian and I like new build or at least refurbished houses. It saves us the hassle of any DIY work and we can just bring our stuff over. We have agreed that the most we will do is change the carpet and paint walls. If kitchens are old, I can give it a new coat of paint but it will have to be workable (ie enough storage and space for our fridge/freezer). New build appeals to us because everything is brand new and is built for today's modern living. Of course one can give a tired house some TLC and make it look nice again. New kitchen, new bathroom, new flooring. But all that cost extra pennies which we don't have. So the next best option will be to find one within budget which is of acceptable condition. A new coat of paint can do wonders. But then again, there are some houses which just 'cannot make it'. Perhaps I am extra fussy. Maybe I have too many requirements. But like many people have told me, buying a house is not like buying clothes. One vendor said if you don't like it, you won't be able to return it. It is true we have to be realistic with what our money can buy us. But a home is not just a roof over our heads. It has to work for us. It has to cater to our needs and requirements. It has to feel 'right'. If we just find somewhere so we could live in but not be happy in it, it then defeats the purpose. It'll be wonderful if we can find one which ticks all the boxes. If not, like I said, it HAS to work for us. How I wish I can combine all the merits of all the houses to get the perfect one - right location, right garden, right size, right kitchen, right decor and at the RIGHT PRICE! But this is rather impossible unless you buy a piece of land and build your own house from scratch. I'm going to make an appointment to view the 'new potential' first thing in the morning tomorrow when the estate agent's office is opened. Fingers crossed.

5 comments:

Tsu Lin + + said...

Did you manage to see the house?

Roslyn said...

Yes and it's pretty good. Now I have more headache. If not I could have just gone for the brandnew townhouse.

Anonymous said...

You've viewed so many houses!! Finding a house is somehow an emotional decision for women I think, you have to see yourself living in it, hope you find the right one soon :)

Val

Roslyn said...

I now have 2 to decide on. 2 very different properties. Hard to decide.

Tsu Lin + + said...

Don't forget the newbuilt you can ask for discount! CP did for theirs and I thk they under-offer quite abit - so if you decide to go for that one, you may bag a bargain.