Tuesday 30 March 2010

Horror

You know that kind of sick feeling, your heart drops, it skips a beat and colour drains from the face. I just had that moment. When I tried to access my external harddisk for some files, I realised that only the other half of the partitioned disk can be found. Flashback - I had wrongly dragged the whole folder of the lost disk into the trash bin a few days ago before switching it off. I should have dragged the disk icon from the desktop and not the folder from the window into the trash! OK, I didn't realise my mistake then. As if that wasn't stupid enough. I emptied the trash 2 days ago without checking the content! I was STUPID as STUPID can be. I don't care about all the graphic and scrapbooking files I'd lost. It's the photos! A few years worth of family photos!

I rang up Apple Support Helpline hoping for a miracle. The technician gave me a link to download a data recovery software. It's now scanning for deleted files. I'm keeping everything crossed. Please, dear Lord, let me recover my files.

A similar incident happened in 2004 when I was doing a backup of an old laptop. It was my first time doing it and I didn't check if all's in order afterwards. A then reformatted the laptop. When I looked up the backup disc for some photos, I realised to my HORROR that all of Lavigne's photos from birth till 3 months couldn't be found. Those precious few months when I snapped and snapped away happily at my new baby. The backup must have stopped halfway. To say I was guttted is an understatement. Whenever I got reminded of this, I can just cry. Of course, no one's to be blamed except for myself. I was careless. Let these be my lesson.

Update: Came home from work and the scan is complete. I ejected the external harddisk, turned it off and switched it back on again. To my big, big relief, an icon of the alleged deleted disk popped up on the desktop. Not wanting to raise my hopes, I checked through all the folders in it. All files intact. BIG PHEW! You know what? I'm not just stupid! I'm more than stupid! As I'm still an iMac newbie, I think I may have not checked everything thoroughly. This morning, I could only access the other partitioned disk (and it's now not showing up anywhere). Call me an Apple idiot. I don't mind. I found the files and that's what that matters. To think that I was worried sick when I went to work. Luckily it was such a busy afternoon it took my mind off it for a while. La-di-da-di-da.........

2 comments:

Bing said...

Haha.. I know how you felt. I felt blood drain from my face when my external HDD crashed with my PC a few years ago. I never thought an external HDD could crash, so I didn't have anymore backups. I lost all my photos and music. I had to tell myself to breathe hard to stay sane. Ever since that day, I am Miss Backup Queen. I have 3 portable HDD, and several SD cards looking after me now. Haha..

Roslyn said...

Oh no! You couldn't recover anything?