Tuesday 9 October 2007

Saggs and the City and Toady

This lady could have been a so-called 'schizophrenic, chain-saw murderer or con-artist', but she is certainly not! She is in fact one fellow Singaporean whom I 'met' through Offsprings' blog. When I found out she's got the same job as me, ie 'employed' by husband and a manager to the household and kiddo, I was keen to make friends with her. It's nice to know someone from our hometown with a child of the same age. Though she lives in London and doesn't drive, it didn't deter her from accepting my invitation to Lavigne's recent party. I like it when I can feel so comfortable with someone whom I've just met in person. It helps when they are such easy-going people who are humourous as well. This far from dangerous lady even helped me vacuum the room after the guests had left. Saggs' been so kind with her words in her post about Lavigne's party. (By the way Saggs, I cheated with the cake. I bought cake mixes from Sainsbury's and merely added eggs and water before baking them. The only things that were made from scratch were the Malteser Choc Mousse and fresh cream topping. Even the bananas were moulded from ready-made sugarpaste. So yes, I didn't make the cake from scratch). Hop on over to read it and yes, there are lots of photos to see.

Another Singaporean family at the party were Val, Alan and their son Luke. I knew her sometime before Lavigne was born. We were from the same motherhood forum. The first time I met her face to face was at Jeannieve's birthday party last December when I went back to Singapore. Her husband's work brought her family here to London a couple of months ago. Again, I thought it'll be nice to have them at the party since Luke's around the same age as Lavigne too. I'm not sure if Luke enjoyed himself because he was napping in the car and was woken up. I certainly hope that he wasn't overwhelmed by the number of people present and that Val and Alan didn't feel left out as I didn't manage to spend enough time with them. (Sorry, Val!)

The most amazing thing is Sagg's hubby, Dennis and Alan were from the same school and cohort. Is this world small or what?

To these two wonderful families, I thank you for making the effort to attend Lavigne's party even though you don't live near the area. It's nice to be able to speak in Singlish and Mandarin with my fellow Singaporeans again.

6 comments:

Saggs said...

Okay, you sooo burst the bubble for me! Still, how did you make the cake so moist? And the icing was soooo yum! We totally enjoyed ourselves at Lavigne's party. So once again, THANK YOU for inviting us! Hope we get to hang out again sometime soon?!

- your friendly neighbourhood chainsaw murderer -

:P

Roslyn said...

Sorry lor! But have to be honest mah. I just followed the instructions on the box. Heehee! Mousse recipe modified from http://www.chocolate-source.co.uk/chocolate_recipes_mousse_chocolate_supreme_mousse.htm. Yah, must meet up soon. When's Danielle's half term?

Eileen Liu Kim Ying said...

wow !!! i must say looking at those photos, i am very impressed at all the efforts you have put into this party and how good all the food and goodie bags turn out. the idea of the FEED ME MONKEY / BINOCULARS MAKING STATIONS are so great.

you make me almost want to have you as my mother :)

Alan/Val said...

Hey, we feel lucky to be invited actually! Yeah, pity Luke was feeling off that day. Hopefully we can do Legoland together...maybe sometime in Nov (with Saggs as well!)?

Unknown said...

hi roslyn, thanks for stopping by my blog. this is so strange - sher is my ex-classmate...saggs is my childhood bud...i'm guessing she found you via sher's blog via the link on my blog....and now you guys are meeting up in London! Oh, and am extremely impressed with your creativity, organisation and coordination skills for Lavigne's party!

Roslyn said...

Dot

Hehe! I found Saggs in Sher's comment box. She was asking me if I know you. I 'know' you from Sher's blog. Bizarre right?! I think this is the beauty of Internet. Thank you for your compliments!