Saturday 24 November 2007

The Difference between S'pore and UK's retail scene

Hey, I'm on a roll today! Thanks ladies for all the good vibes!

I went to Sainsbury's today and bought myself among other things, a punnet of blueberries. I love blueberries and the first time I had them was just a few months ago at a friend's place. Since then, I was hooked. Unfortunately, they're terribly expensive and I don't often buy them. The reason I bought them today was because they're half price. At the checkout, I was packing my stuff into the bags when the small box of blueberries dropped out and onto the floor, spilling the content everywhere. Oh. My. God! I thought. My precious blueberries. Even though they were half price, at £1.99 per punnet (S$6), they are still very expensive. Then can you imagine my joy when the nice cashier told me she'll get someone to bring me another punnet. Will I get this kind of service if I was in Singapore? It was my fault that the fruits fell out of the bag, not the supermarket's. I think if I was at NTUC, I'll just have to make do with whatever's left in the container. No?

The other thing is I remember clearly I took a box of coarse black pepper and put it in my trolley. I only realised not seeing it while unpacking hours after I got home and I thought I didn't pack it into the bag at all. Checked the receipt and true enough, the item wasn't on it. Strange. Where did it go? Dropped out of the trolley? What's the matter with me today?

What I really like about shopping in UK is the return policy. You can bring back practically anything you buy and decided you don't like it afterall. It makes shopping so much easier. Especially if I'm in a hurry, I can just grab whatever that's caught my eye without trying or giving it too much thought since I can return them if they don't fit or that I don't like the item that much to want to keep it. Last year when I was in Singapore, my sister bought something which she then realised she didn't really like it. So I asked her to return it to the shop. She replied, 'You think Singapore's so good like in UK ah?' Yah, I forgot what it's like in Singapore.

3 comments:

Tsu Lin + + said...

I think I echo your thoughts about shopping here in UK and back in Asia (M'sia for me). Over here, I just feel less pressure to decide on the spot hence making me prone to being indecisive! Haha..

Roslyn said...

Haha! We're both here at the same time.

Tsu Lin + + said...

Do you stay up so late every night? I usually do too.. that's the only time I have some peace and quiet to do my own things. :)