Monday 7 April 2008

Not my cup of tea

math


Adrian's been teaching Louisa multiplication for several weeks now and started Lavigne on simple addition. I have to admit Math is a subject I used to loathe in school and something which I'm terrible at. I never quite understand why I'm always the odd one out in the family. All my sisters are good with the subject except me. Adrian's background is in engineering so he's pretty good at the subject too. I remember wondering if it was too early to teach her multiplication. I think I was first taught this when I was in Primary 3(?). He even bought the above for her 2 days ago. In my opinion, the CD is quite good. The times table are sung out and there are games on one of the discs. However, we've not played the game yet so I can't comment. Regular readers of 'Wrong Side of Thirty' will agree that the author has 2 extremely intelligent boys. When I read this, it occured to me that Louisa probably knows too little. But then again, I can't really compare, can I? Those boys are geniuses to begin with and their mum is great at nurturing which brought the best out of them. Sigh! I feel I'm such a bad mum.

4 comments:

Lilian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lilian said...

(sorry made a typo earlier, I'm really anal I know ;) )

Thanks for linking to my site. You made a mistake in your post, my boys are no geniuses. Nice of you to think that, but really, they're not at all.

Back to your post, it's great you can share the 'teaching' burden with Adrian. And there are loads of stuff your kids do tonnes better than mine, so you're right, shouldn't compare. I gotta tell myself that so often!

Also, you're in no way a 'bad mum', far, far, far from it, furthest from it! You're EXCELLENT, I'm in awe of what you do for the girls and Adrian, and I'm not just talking about killer birthday parties, daosa buns and pandan cakes (though those are really important of course!).

You're doing a great job raising 2 cute, lovely girls, so don't you ever forget that.

Roslyn said...

Lilian,

We'll always debate about this, won't we? Whether Brian and Sean are geniuses and more advanced than their peers. On more than one occasion, friends had asked 'Do you read the blog 'Wrong Side of Thirty'?' 'Yes!' Then we'll say at the same time, 'Her boys are so smart, right?' Hahaha!

Thanks for your sweet compliments. We're all different I guess and we have our strengths and weaknesses.

Lily Ann said...

You're doing a good job with Louisa and Lavigne!
I bought this Times Table Challenge from ELC more than a year back, and I think the tune is catchy and easy to remember.
As for addition, I don't know what's taught over there or by your hubby.
You can try number bonds to get the child "connect the 2 numbers together". eg. Number bond for 1 is 0,1. Number bond for 2 is 0,2 & 1,1. Number bond for 4 is 0,4 & 1,3 & 2,2 and so on.. So, if child sees a sum 2+3, will think answer is 5 coz Number bond for 5 is 2, 3. Hope this helps! If you know alreaydy, take it that I'm talking to myself. Hee!